- Baccalaureate degree* in English from an accredited college or university
- complete application to the Graduate School
- GPA of 3.0 or better
- official general GRE exam scores (priority given to applicants with a 155 verbal score or higher and at least a 4.5 Writing score)
- statement of intent
- writing sample.
*An applicant who does not have an undergraduate degree in English but who has exceptional qualifications should contact the Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of English.
Location: On Campus
Course Requirements for the Master of Arts in English (232C)
Semester Hours Required (minimum): 36**
Required Courses: 27 hours
- English 5000: Bibliography and Research
- 9 hours in English literature (either 6 hours from pre-1789 British and 3 hours from post-1789 British, or 3 hours from pre-1789 British and 6 hours from post-1789 British)
- 3 hours in pre-1900 American literature*
- 3 hours in post-1900 American literature*
- 3 hours in theory from either ENG 5600 (Literary Criticism and Theory), or one of the following courses, as appropriate, as determined by the graduate program director in consultation with the instructor: ENG 5650 (Gender Studies), English 5640 (Cultural Studies), and English 5300 (Studies in Rhetoric and Composition)
- 3 hours Thesis Preparation, English 5998. This course must be completed before you are allowed to sign up for your thesis.
- 3 hours thesis
Elective Courses: 9 hours
- 9 hours of electives** (chosen in consultation with the program director)
* Any course not associated with a historical period (such as Ethnic American Literature, Studies in American Indian Literature, Appalachian Literature, Cultural Studies, or Gender Studies) may count for the pre-1900 or post-1900 American literature course requirement as appropriate, as determined by the graduate program director in consultation with the instructor.
**GTAs must take RC 5100: Composition Theory, Practice and Pedagogy. They must also take the appropriate one-hour mentoring course(s).
NOTE: Students pursuing the Master of Arts degree may develop a minor of 8 to 12 semester hours in a valid related academic field, but those electing to do so should plan to complete more than 36 hours of graduate study for their degree.
Other Requirements for the MA in English
- Language Proficiency (satisfied with 2 years of undergraduate foreign language or language exam)
- Thesis Defense